Tuesday, September 8, 2009

I'm back, with no proof :(

I made salmon last night. I swear! Jon text messaged me " hey would you want to grill salmon?" He was at Lunds. Of course! One MILLION bonus points. I showed up at his apt with spices (aren't you the spice girl?) and away we went. Holy yum. His new roommate has a grill on their balcony. Jon really lives in style, let me tell you. We grilled salmon and green pepper with EVOO, salt pepper and sate seasoning. (mom you might be missing a jar! oops). Make little tin foil pouches to ensure your eats stay GF. Oh yes. And Jon's new abode sports...you guessed it...a DISHWASHER!!!! Hear the choir of angels! Love it. Alas, I took one sad pic of appetizer guac and my underused camera breathed it's last battery breath. Oh well. Trust me, it happened and it was heaven. Tide you over with a pic???? Does this seem like your life? Not mine. no. no. no.





I started the ICU today. I already put in an arterial line. yikes. I was just sitting, content to be quietly reading about acetamionphen overdose, as my soon to be arriving patient imbibed a bit too heavily on some Tylenol. Disruption! A team member walks in and says "med students, art line" YIKES! He asked if we had done one. I said no, not on a human. True. My med student buddy says, well sort of. I guess well sort of, means, "I gowned up and missed, so I watched". Whatev-still more than me, meaning it was my turn. So to make a long story short. I found her artery, got in with one jab, saw my squirting blood, inserted art line and sutured it down. I did not 1) sweat profusely or 2) loose my cookies aka nectarine. Overall day 1 of ICU = success.

Ok Lisa's blog is addicting. So i'll play along, then sleep.



Here it goes!

Hardback, trade paperback or mass market paperback?
I'm not too familiar with hardcore details of paperback variety. But I likes me paperback. Hardcovers make my thumbs hurt. That's WAY too many calories expended keeping a book open.

Waterstones, Borders or Amazon?
I like amazon. I buy novels there for really quite cheap. Sometimes you have to ignore some bimbo with bubbly letter's interpretation of "symbolism"... But yea. Still worth the discount. Jon asked me if when i'm a doc i'll want a fancy car. I said no. Maybe I will drive a volvo and have NON marked up books. Stay tuned.

Bookmark or dog-ear?
Bookmark. I have a few bookmarks of my Grandmothers that I use. Otherwise, I use coupons or perfume samples. I rarely dog ear. Something deep inside tells me that's taboo.

Amazon or brick-and-mortar?
Amazon. I don't leave my apt. except to place art lines. book store? non intubated people? what?

Alphabetize by author, or alphabetize by title, or random?
Random. I have an entire book shelf dedicated to textbooks. I have an already read bookshelf, that also holds candles and white boards with dry erase markers. Finally, I have a bookshelf with dvds and not yet devoured fiction.

Keep, throw away, or sell?
Keep. I'm a packrat. aka. a Geier

Keep dust jacket or toss it?
I keep them, see above. They are way freaking annoying though. Always be fallin off, makin more work for my tired thumbs.

Read with dust jacket or remove it?
These questions are seeming redundant. I might be tired

Short story or novel?
Novels. I do love me some David Sedaris though. And Hemingway: The Things They Carried holds a huge chunk of my heart. I love Hemingway before bed. So soothing.

Harry Potter or Lemony Snicket?
Potter!

Buy or borrow?
Buy. When we were children, we rented ridiculous numbers of books though. I remember once my mom specifically telling me to browse the caldecotts as she went to new fiction to look. I really do remember her telling me where she went, and that I should just look around. However, I FREAKED out! Had to have my mom paged over the loudspeaker. Serious nerdage. Panic attack at the library. Whoa nelly.

Buying choice: book reviews, recommendations, or browse?
Um. If nick tells me its good I go for it. Otherwise, I peruse amazon all by my lonesome.

Tidy ending or cliffhanger?
Tidy ending. No question. choose your own adventure = torture!!!

Morning reading, afternoon reading, or nighttime reading?
Preferably camp ground reading. But realistically bedtime reading. Daytime reading consists of liver failure and renal failure and "insert favorite organ here" failure.

Stand-alone or series?
alone. I read babysitters club and american girls etc. Otherwise not so into the series.

Favourite series?
ok fine. boxcar children

Favorite children’s book?
Roald Dahl. All of his genius. I guess my favorite would have to be Matilda. I did check this out of Shannon Park Elementary Library enough times for the librarian to politely suggest I seek other options. Creature of habit? what works works right?

Favourite YA book?
Hmmm. Dances with wolves. I was a young adult...

Favorite book of which nobody else has heard?
I really liked in the time of butterflies. I feel thats lesser known? Maria alvarez. I also love Klosterman. Lisa knows. He's a gas.

Favourite books read last year?
The bell jar

Favorite book to recommend to an 11-year-old?
Roald Dahl. The twits probably. 11 years old? Yeah, especially 11 year old boys.

Favorite book to re-read?
Matilda apparently. Also the awakening.

Do you ever smell books?
Yes. I love the smell of books, except when they smell like cheese. what? yes. real cheese. start smelling, I bet by book 5 you find your "cheesy" page turner.

Do you ever read primary source documents like letters or diaries?
Dude. I read blogs

What are you reading right now?
Wasted.

What are you reading next?
Case Files-Internal Medicine. Woot! Fun ensues!

If you have a blog and are interested, post this meme and make sure you let me know that you are doing it. If you don't have a blog or don't feel like doing this, answer as many of these questions as you'd like! I love hearing about people's reading habits/interests!

1 comment:

Lisa from Lisa's Yarns said...

Oh you make me laugh!

Congrats on putting in an arterial line. Your job is way cooler than mine! I just started reading a book called "Beat the Reaper" which is set in a hospital and written by a med student. It's pretty interesting so far!!

I think you introduced me to the book 'The BFG'. I have a vivid memory of coming to visit you guys and you told me about this book. So then we went to the Red Balloon Bookstore in St Paul and my mom let me buy it. Which was a big deal because we didn't ever buy books much when I was a kiddo.

Actually, that makes me think... hmmm. Maybe I can blame my dear mother for my book buying binge habits. I am sure it's the result of some suppressed urges to buy books as a child that weren't fulfilled...